Sunday 27 March 2011

Idealism in Architecture

Alain de botton in his series 'The perfect home' on channel four talks about how in the 18th century Germany would have great super composed statues with immense scale ratio placed upon buildings, this was to inspire the general public with ideals and power. Architects have always had the influence to aspire the general public with idealisms and reflect what was valuable about the culture.

I think that this is gradually changing. The other day I got on the train to Victoria from Bromley south. I was seated on the left side in the train carriage, just before arriving at Victoria I looked up at this real estate flats and saw a static steel fabric kite upon the top floor in the balcony and said to my self  'I love the idea of that, that is what I call idealism' I think now we can easily associate our selves with these childish cynical un-rectangular cubism forms. As I believe these forms tend to aspire us and move us away from the radical thoughts maybe?
I truly wish I had the picture so I could share it with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment